Tuesday, June 2, 2015

NBD


I've spent many of the recent gorgeous spring evenings laying in my yard, watching the clouds roll by. On one such occasion, this word invaded my head: Insignificant. Before I could stop them, my thoughts were spiraling out of control and into anxiety as I realized the magnitude of the world around me; that I am one small life out of billions. What can any of us possibly have to offer?

My roommate working from his home office, my ex boyfriend salmon fishing in Alaska, my best friend caring for wolves at the Detroit Zoo, my brother fighting wildfire in Nevada. These four as examples are all aware of each other, and would probably tell you they don't have much in common; would never choose to do what the others are doing. Yet, their significance is so intense, it is almost easier to ignore than to acknowledge. As a few of the most important people in my life, this is simple for me to say about them, but it is true for every single life on the planet.

When my parents tell me they love me, when my coach says he's proud of me, when my dog (literally) jumps for joy at the sight of me- these are all times I feel significant. So, what am I getting at here? We all want to live in a world full of things that make us happy. Consumerism, conservation, crossfit...whatever it is, we all make conscious decisions to keep these things in our lives. It is not the government, or big business, or terrorism that changes the world. It is every single choice made by every single person to keep themselves feeling significant. This is what we each have to offer.

My goal, to keep my little green life growing, is to make choices that are not only right for me, but make sense. A global, social and environmental responsibility to do "the right thing". I stress this because I know, even as just one life out of billions, everything I do is important. I'd like to live in a world where everyone feels this way.

"The choices we make about the lives we live determine the kinds of legacies we leave"
-Tavis Smiley


P.S.
'Project' update:

Two days ago, I planted a vegetable garden! Whoa, impressive, right? Good thing we've planted more trees and plants than I can even begin to count over the last 4 months at work- at least I had a slight idea of what I was doing. Broccoli, cucumber, eggplant, tomatoes, peppers, etc...can't wait!
Both composts are doing better than expected, although we add to the food bin so often that it isn't ready for the garden...I have a second bin laying around and may stagger them so the first has time to cook. My trash can is nowhere near full, consisting of mostly protein bar wrappers, bandaids and pet hair.

Exciting things lay ahead of me in the near future...I don't want to give anything away, but I'll be posting as they happen. Don't forget to follow @alittlegreenlife on Instagram, and keep up with my monthly Conservation Corps blog! Happy trails!

No comments:

Post a Comment

R&R

The weeks since my knee surgery have passed both surprisingly quickly and painfully slow. Sparing details, the procedure corrected a misal...