Wednesday, January 1, 2014

New Year, New Life!

January 1st! It seems like the older I get, the faster time goes...ugh.I didn't anticipate getting ready for this project and the holidays at the same time, so I'm feeling a bit behind. 
I think everything is ready overall though..

Here's a bit of what I've done so far:

Compost! I built my food composter in late November and have been adding to it since then. It ended up being bigger than I pictured, so our waste in a month hasn't even begun to compost that I can tell. I invited the neighbor to put hers in as well- I like to share. 

The pet waste composter was built a little later....and by that I mean we did it today. So, it doesn't look very pretty yet but the idea is that it will eventually be painted like an outhouse...just for fun.




Doesn't she look excited?!










What I'm struggling with the most here is kitty litter. There are all kinds of awesome natural and compostable products on the market now. The issue is my cat- he won't use anything that isn't in small granule form. I stood in the litter aisle for so long I think people were starting to think I was "that" lady...but I eventually decided on Cat's Pride Light and Fresh 100% recycled paper litter. It may or may not be satisfactory for him...we shall see.

Then I bought all kinds of fun stuff:


  • The green containers in the preserve box are little tupperware made from 100% recycled #5 plastic. They are working out great for putting applesauce and yogurt into single serve portions for lunch. 
  • The little brown box is especially exciting for me- earth rated poop bags! I don't take the dog out on a leash much anymore, but when we do go for walks near other people's yards, these poop bags are completely compostable. 
  • The white ceramic container is my kitchen composter. Cute right? It matches my appliances.
  • I bought 2 of those collapsible food containers and have already used them- the waitress looked a bit confused but eventually took her evil styrofoam containers away from me...
  • I have some paper towel alternatives on order from Amazon- we still have a few regular rolls left from the last purchase so I'm saving them for especially yucky stuff in hopes of composting them.

I realize that I didn't really include Recycling in my last entry- "the plan". We recycle everything we can already, so I didn't think about it- but I assure you, that is one of the biggest components of the plan! I just took the recycling back today so we're starting fresh.

That's it for now! Since this just started, I don't have many results to share. I'll keep updating as we go, and am completely open to suggestions if you have any. 

ps-
GO GREEN!

I think the environment should be put in the category of our national security. Defense of our resources is just as important as defense abroad. Otherwise, what is there to defend?
-Robert Redford

2 comments:

  1. inspiring. thoughtful. fun. nice work! what is the compost lid made from? and, that doghouse is inspired!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. compost lid is some sort of coated particle board we had laying around in the garage...I don't think that it will last very long in the weather but we'll find out

      Delete

R&R

The weeks since my knee surgery have passed both surprisingly quickly and painfully slow. Sparing details, the procedure corrected a misal...