Thursday, August 21, 2014

Pura Vida!

Somehow it feels like I've been back from Costa Rica for much longer than a week and a half. It was a 10 day whirlwind of long bus rides, bathroom breaks, early mornings, posing for photographs, anxiety, and too many people. Hmm...does that make it sound like I didn't have any fun? I think I left out the part about hiking, kayaking, zip lining, horseback riding, white water rafting, swimming in the ocean, seeing a whale, touching a crocodile, planting trees, close encounters with monkeys/sloths/iguanas/birds, learning new things, making new friends...and getting an awesome tan.
So, despite my aversion towards humans in general, I actually had a pretty good time with some pretty cool people.
The best part? Recycling! Almost everywhere we went had a convenient recycling and/or composting station- hotels, restaurants, street corners...even the beach!


As you can guess, I was overly and outwardly thrilled every time I saw a new recycling container, and had to take pictures of them all. I got plenty of "must be another tourist" looks from the locals...and from my American counterparts. As far as waste goes, we didn't directly accumulate much because we ate out for every single meal. I'm still struggling with how to make a meal on my own now that I'm back home...
What I wasn't able to discern was where the recycling goes when it is hauled away. My limited research (typing "Costa Rica recycling" into Google) gave me many different answers- but it seems as though there are some recovery facilities, thanks to efforts from organizations that value the role recycling plays in keeping the country sustainable. This little country accounts for about 0.03% of the Earth's landmass, and 3-5% of the biodiversity. In other words, sustainability is a big deal in Costa Rica. I can dig it. 

As I've witnessed regularly over these last few months, literally nothing in life ever goes to plan. 5 year old me planned on being a rich, world renowned, supermodel veterinarian by now. 20 year old me planned on being a financially stable, has-it-all-together wife and mother by now. 24 year old me wonders what the in the hell those other Anna's were thinking. 
I've learned a lot about myself and about life in the last months: Life is hard!! It's OK to get to know people, and maybe-possibly-if-they-continuously-annoy-you-until-you-give-in, let them get to know you too. Taking risks is fun. Shovels make the best therapists. Happy memories will always be happy memories. Sweat is sexy. I am strong, smart, confident...hell, I'm even kind of cool.
You're wondering: why am I babbling on, sharing my infinite wisdom, when I'm supposed to be talking about recycling? Well, this project is about more than recycling. If you recall in my first entry, I explicitly stated that this project is about my life.
So, here we are again, the part where I make an important announcement about a change in "the plan". After learning all of the above about myself, I've discovered I'm constantly craving these changes. My brain tricks me into incessantly planning everything, but what I really need now is a challenge, a chance to be brave. In order to satisfy this craving, I'm moving to Minneapolis, MN (I know, I know, I made it seem like a really dramatic announcement was coming...sorry). I do have a few friends there and a place to live, but no job lined up, and no idea what is coming for me once I'm settled. The uncertainty is what scares and excites me. Anyone can slip on a harness and bungee jump...but this will be harder for me than putting trust in a rope. I have to put trust in myself.
Hopefully this will be the first step on the path that gets me to wherever it is I'm going!

I'm on the hunt for who I've not yet become.
-Sara Bareilles

2 comments:

  1. Way to go costa Rica ! And congrats again on the move.. you'll love it I'm sure !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope everything works out for you Anna. You deserve the best!

    ReplyDelete

R&R

The weeks since my knee surgery have passed both surprisingly quickly and painfully slow. Sparing details, the procedure corrected a misal...