Sunday, January 12, 2014

12 down, 353 to go...

Time seems to fly until I think about how much more there is to go...BUT I think we're doing pretty well!

The recycling bin is spewing stuff all over the kitchen! Unfortunately, "Snowpocalypse 2014" kept me far, far away from the recycling drop off center...even though it's only 5 minutes away. 

However, the garbage bin is sitting nice and quietly, keeping it's lid shut for the most part. The biggest contributor so far has been a broken ceramic plate- no way to recycle that. I might pull it out in a few months when I'm feeling crafty and want to make garden stones or something. Yes...I've been pulling things out of the trash. Not only am I used to it from being on the Be Spartan Green Team, but it's habit to toss things in (even I do it)- and someone has to get them out. Guess who the only volunteer is for that job...


Oh, that's me!


It's been pretty easy to convince Dane, who is 5, that paper towels and tissues could go into the compost; I even got him to start using a handkerchief! His neighbor friend was a bit more difficult though...his family doesn't even recycle. 
The compost seems to be doing well. Although I can't really tell what's happening in the poop bin since it's well, full of poop, it's wonderful not to have to throw plastic bags full of kitty litter into the trash every week. The food compost is still taking it's sweet time. I'm sure the sub-arctic temperatures didn't help generate any heat, either. 

So far, we haven't had to alter our behavior all that much. Since we already recycled before, we just put a little more thought into what goes where and it all works out. The biggest difference I'm noticing in myself is my thought process- before I even pick an item up off the shelf my brain does a little "green scan"- what is it made of, what is it packaged in, and what will I have to deal with when I'm done with it? I find this little trick helps me save the earth and save money too, since almost everything is unsatisfactory after I force myself to think about it. 

Having my goal in mind keeps me on my toes, but what really forces me to be conscious about my actions is YOU! I have no idea who my readers are outside of my friends and family, but the thought of disappointing any of you keeps me from slipping up when I'm having a bad day. So I suppose, I should thank you!!


If you want grown-ups to recycle, just tell their kids the importance of recycling, and they'll be all over it. -Bill Nye

No comments:

Post a Comment

R&R

The weeks since my knee surgery have passed both surprisingly quickly and painfully slow. Sparing details, the procedure corrected a misal...